We are planning to run a sustainable restaurant.
The term sustainability was first coined in the 18th century by Hans Carl von Carlowitz in the context of forestry. Mining had led to the depletion of timbers and as a consequence the population and industry suffered. Von Carlowitz defined the principle that not more trees should be taken out of a forest than can grow again. Or in other words – we should live off the interest and not the capital.
This requires – then and now – taking a holistic view. Five key pillars have to be part of corporate strategy to allow for sustainable development:
- Economic sustainability – any company has to be economically viable and successful
- Environmental responsibility – taking the appropriate measures to protect the environment and resources
- Social responsibility – considering the interests of employees and customers
- Corporate citizenship – making a contribution to social interest groups
- Corporate governance and compliance – the systems by which the company is controlled and directed
Can a small company achieve what big companies are trying to do? www.lufthansagroup.com/en/responsibility.html